Saturday, April 4, 2009

Crossed Paths

Twice I crossed paths with two photographers this past week. The first was with my friend Abbie who I met when I taught at Presbyterian School 3 years ago. Her warm smile drew me in, but her Canon 70-200mm lens really got me! When we first met, we were both tinkering with the idea of being serious photographers. We love the art and talked about it every time we saw each other in the school hallways.

So, I ran into Abbie at a Presbyterian girls lacrosse game. There we stood with our massive Canon 70-200mm lenses in hand. We both laughed about how many people have approached us and either said, that's one BIG lens, or that's a SERIOUS lens. In between clicks we shared photography stories and tricks of the trade. It's been neat to see her business grow and watch her embrace her talent for wedding photography. I've never told her this, but I don't know what I admire more about her: her photography skills or her mothering skills. Her kids are amazing! The whole family has so much fun together. I finally met Mr. Flynn at the lacrosse game. He's the same way: witty, warm, easy-going. Abbie truly has fun with her kids and they adore her. She also takes fantastic photos of them. Her website is http://www.abbieflynnphoto.com/. Check her out, especially if you are looking for a wedding photographer!

My second encounter with a photographer this past week was at Starbucks. I straddled the parking line boundary with my car (only because the car next to me did the same thing and forced me to) and the truck that pulled up next to me had to cross his parking line as well. We both emerged from our vehicles at the same time and I heard a friendly voice say, "Well, looks like we took up 4 parking spots between the two of us!" Normally, I would just say "yeah" and walk on, but this guy was so friendly and immediately engaging. We strolled into the coffee shop together, both desperately needing a caffeine perk, but acting like we were casual drinkers (instead of hard-core coffeeholics; well, at least I am!) I asked him what he did for a living and he said he was an architectural photographer. That's all Carl had to say. I was immediately interested! To make a long story short, Carl gave me a few of mini-lessons with my camera and we talked a little bit about the business side of photography. I was in awe. He's been photographing for a long time and truly does some amazing work. His website is http://www.carlmayfield.com/. Check it out!! Oh, and here's the look on my face that he captured as he was trying to explain a camera setting to me. I asked him how to clean up all the wrinkles, but he couldn't do that for me. At least not right there. That would require PhotoShop. Seriously, though. I can't believe the age lines. Thanks a lot, Carl!

No comments: