Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Perfume as Art

I hate perfume. I'm so annoyed when someone wears too much of it. If I can smell you before I see you, that's not good! Needless to say, I am in love with Christopher Brosius's fragrances: http://www.cbihateperfume.com/. I found his perfume in a wonderful boutique in Austin called Bows and Arrows http://www.shopbowsplusarrows.com/. The bottles were so simple, the names captivating, the smells mesmerizing. I couldn't resist. I HAD to buy some! Here is an excerpt from Brosius's poem titled "CB Manifesto":

I hate perfume.
Perfume is too often an ethereal corset trapping everyone in the same unnatural shape
A lazy and inelegant concession to fashionable ego
Too often a substitute for true allure and style
An opaque shell concealing everything – revealing nothing
A childish masque hiding the timid and unimaginative
An arrogant slap in the face from across the room
People who smell like everyone else disgust me


The poem is printed on his large bottles. The scents are beautiful! I bought Narcissus from the Metamorphosis series. He describes the scent as ". . . clean running water over mossy stones, the wind gently blowing through green leaves." It is AMAZINGLY fresh and light. Today I bought about five 2ml bottles (they're about $12 each!) to try--At the Beach, The Summer Kitchen, (ocean)/Eternal Return, Greenbriar 1968, and CB93. Aren't the names cool? And the descriptions of the scents are so poetic. I'm sooo excited to wear them or even mix them! It's not perfume but subtle everyday smells that sort of "waft" around you.

No comments: